AT&T quits Venezuela as US sanctions force it to defy Maduro

Business

AT&T quits Venezuela as US sanctions force it to defy Maduro

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!


MIAMI (AP) — AT&T said yesterday it will immediately ditch Venezuela's pay TV market as US sanctions prohibit its DirecTV platform from broadcasting channels that it is required to carry by the socialist administration of Nicolás Maduro.

The Dallas-based company said its decision to close its unit is effective immediately. It joins a number of other US companies — General Motors, Kellogg Co and Kimberly-Clark — that have abandoned Venezuela due to shrinking sales, government threats and the risk of US sanctions. Around 700 Venezuelans depended on the unit for employment.

“Because it is impossible for AT&T's DirecTV unit to comply with the legal requirements of both countries, AT&T was forced to close its pay TV operations in Venezuela, a decision that was made by the company's US leadership team without any involvement or prior knowledge of the DirecTV Venezuela team,” the company said in a statement.

AT&T has a 44 per cent share of the pay TV market and its departure is likely to hit hard-working class barrios of larger cities and the interior that depend on DirecTV for access to information and entertainment.

An Associated Press (AP) investigation from January found that AT&T had been under increasing pressure from the Trump Administration to stand up to Maduro's censors, who since 2017 have ordered the removal of some 10 channels, including CNN en Español, that had broadcast anti-government protests.

Local regulators accuse the channels of violating the Law on Social Responsibility on Radio and Television, which seeks to guarantee socially responsible programming but that press freedom groups consider it a tool to muzzle critical coverage due to its ambiguous language and heavy penalties.

DirecTV is also a major platform for the broadcast of State-run TV outlets criticised by the opposition as propaganda. In exchange for a Venezuelan license, it's also required to carry Globovision, a private network sanctioned by the US and owned by a businessman close to Maduro who is wanted on US money laundering charges.

A never-implemented plan promoted by the State Department would have forced AT&T to pull the plug on Globovision and the state-run channels while restoring some of the banned international news channels, according to five people familiar with the discussions cited in the earlier AP investigation.

AT&T hasn't made money from its Venezuelan operations for years due to strict Government controls that keep the price of its packages artificially low — a few pennies per month. The situation has become so dire that DirecTV in 2012 stopped importing set-top boxes, choking its growth. In 2015, it wrote down its assets in the country by US$1.1 billion.

But the company was reluctant to close down its operations in Venezuela because of its market share — the largest it has anywhere in the world — and its commitment to a satellite broadcast centre from which DirecTV beams about a third of its programming to several parts of South America.

An AT&T executive said that while its broadcast signal in Venezuela would stop working Tuesday, the company has enhanced other facilities in the region to ensure that service continues uninterrupted throughout South America. The executive spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal procedures.

AT&T's departure deprives many Venezuelans of what had been a cheap form of entertainment in a nation ravaged by 2 million per cent hyperinflation. Among them is Maduro himself, who at a recent press conference boasted that he's a fan of CNN's English language channel, even rattling off the channel — 706 — where it appears on DirecTV's platform.

William Castillo, a former telecommunications regulator who now is a senior aide to Venezuela's foreign minister, blamed the Trump Administration and Opposition Leader Juan Guaidó, who the US recognises as Venezuela's rightful leader, for pulling the plug on DirecTV.

“Hurting the population, making them suffer, is the key component of the sanctions policy,” Castillo said on Twitter. “A cruel policy that takes away from people essential goods, food, medicine, services and also cultural goods.”

There was no immediate comment from the Trump Administration.

With AT&T's announcement Tuesday, however, some DirecTV subscribers reported that their service immediately went dark, displaying the message: “Channel not available.”

Pedro Zambrano, a taxi driver waiting on a client at a Caracas supermarket, said he has subscribed to DirecTV for years to watch his favourite series and tuned in nightly to the German Government's Deutsche Welle channel, which broadcast international news in Spanish.

The 54-year-old said the loss of DirecTV amid the coronavirus pandemic, where he and others are forced to spend long stretches at home, is only likely to further erode a quality of life that has worsened in recent years by frequent power outages and shortages of water and gasoline for his car, which provides his living.

“I don't know how a person can live with dignity in a country like this,” Zambrano said. “Well, what can I tell you? We're sunk.”


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT