'It wasn't me' - ‘Chucky’ denies one killing

... says acted in self-defence in double murder

Observer staff reporter

Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

ACCUSED constable Collis 'Chucky' Brown, who is on trial for the murder of three men in two separate incidents, yesterday told jurors he had nothing to do with the death of one of the men, and that he was acting in self-defence when he fired in the second incident.

Brown, who has been in custody since 2014, also told the court that in the second incident, which was a double murder, he was acting on the instructions of his superior when he went for the men.

The defendant is being tried for the January 10, 2009 murder of Robert “Gutty” Dawkins, as well as the double killing of Andrew Fearon and Wayne Douglas on December 13, 2012 — both in May Pen, Clarendon. He is also being tried on charges of conspiracy to murder and wounding with intent.

Yesterday, a relaxed-looking Brown, who has maintained a calm demeanour throughout the trial in the Home Circuit Court, gave an approximately 20-minute-long unsworn statement from the dock, in which he sought to explain his position as it relates to the three murders.

Before he explained his involvement, he said he was a member of a street crime unit that operated between 2008 and 2012, which was formed to deal with the upsurge of crime in Clarendon.

“As a constable, I am obliged to take directive and follow orders which I cannot question.

“As it relates to the shooting death of Damoy (Robert) Dawkins, o/c (otherwise called) Gutty, I did not have anything to do with it. I never shot and killed Damoy Dawkins,” Brown said before Justice Vivene Harris.

In the second incident, he said he and other members of his team fired at the men after they came under attack.

“I received information from my (superior officer) and proceeded to the location with other members. The unit was spotted and stopped by the police. The men hurriedly exited the vehicle; one person came from the rear of the vehicle (and) opened gunfire at us. I, myself and others, returned gunfire in their direction,” he told the six-member jury.

Following the alleged exchange of gunshots, he said the two men were seen lying on the ground with gunshot wounds and that two firearms were retrieved from them.

However, Brown, during his unsworn statement, contradicted previous testimony that he was the one who had approached the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM), and hinted that the commission had promised to send him and his family overseas.

According to the defendant, he was first contacted by an investigator from the commission after consulting with a former police commissioner.

“A few days later, I received a telephone call from one (INDECOM officer) who told me that he works at INDECOM and he could assist me. We had a discussion. As a result of the discussion, a meeting was had in the parish of Manchester,” he said.

Brown said Assistant Commissioner Hamish Campbell was present at the meeting, along with an investigator, and that he was told that he would be meeting with the head of the commission.

Brown said before he left the meeting, “certain things were discussed for the protection of my (family)”.

He said he was advised not to tell his lawyer about the meeting, and that shortly after, he was contacted about a second meeting at the commission's head office in Kingston, where he again had discussions about the safety of his family and possible relocation.

The court heard that the accused policeman was contacted by INDECOM after he was allegedly framed by the Jamaica Constabulary Force for the shooting death of Adif Washington at May Pen Hospital, and he “went through all the channels to get his name cleared” but was unsuccessful.

Brown, before ending his statement, denied having any discussion with the ex-con and police informant who testified last week that he was the one who had rented the car in which the two men were driving when they were killed, and also that he had been updating Brown on the men's whereabouts on the day they were killed, after the policeman told him he wanted the men.

According to the witness, Brown told him Douglas had “dissed one of his boss and two of his dons”. Brown's boss, the court heard, was a well-known don in Manchester.

Yesterday, Brown denied ever saying that to the witness.

He also denied talking to the witness when they met in prison or telling him that he was going to win the murder case involving Douglas.

The trial continues today.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus

Flirting while in a relationship is disrespectful.
It depends


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon