Latest News

Bahamas closes embassy in Haiti as unrest continues in French speaking country

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC) — The Bahamas government on Tuesday said that its embassy in Haiti would remain closed “until further notice” as it joined other countries in shutting down their diplomatic buildings as unrest continues in the French-speaking Caribbean Community (Caricom) country.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the decision to close down the embassy followed consultations with the country's ambassador to security personnel in Haiti.

“Due to continuing unrest in Haiti, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to advise members of the public that the Embassy of The Bahamas in Port au Prince will be closed until further notice,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, adding that “security directives have been issued by the United Nations (UN) Mission in Haiti – MINUJUSTH, implementing a curfew from 2200 hours to 0500 hours until further notice.

“It is the policy of The Bahamas in situations such as this to act in conjunction with the diplomatic community, and the UN if present in the jurisdiction,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, adding that the national airline, Bahamasair has also suspended its flights into Haiti until further notice. It urged the public to consult Bahamasair as to when flights are likely to resume.

“All staff of The Bahamas Embassy are safe. The ministry continues to monitor the situation and will provide updates on new developments as they arise.”

The United States Embassy Tuesday lifted its security measures so that US employees can get to work. But it said that the Consular Section is open only for emergency services for US citizens.

Canada has also closed its embassy as a result of the situation.

At least six people have been killed and several others injured as opposition demonstrators have taken to the streets in Haiti demanding the resignation of President Jovenel Moise and a full investigation into the use of the funds under the PetroCaribe, the Venezuela oil initiative to assist countries in the region.

Police have confirmed that the deaths occurred across Haiti and that several arrests had been made.

The spokesman for the National Police of Haiti (PNH), Michel-Ange Louis Jeune, said that six people were killed, five others injured and 20 arrests were made, but the opposition organisers speaking at a news conference late Sunday said that 11 people had been killed, 47 wounded and 75 others arrested.

The opposition parties have said they will continue their protest action this week.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT