What can I do on my US B1/B2 visa?


What can I do on my US B1/B2 visa?

Ask the US Embassy

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!

Q: I have a valid B1/B2 visa. What am I allowed to do on that visa?

A: A B1/B2 (business/pleasure) visa for a Jamaican is generally issued for 10 years with multiple entries allowed. While using the visa, you must engage in “legitimate activities”. Here are some examples of legitimate activities permitted:

Business (B-1)

• Consult with business associates;

• Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference;

• Settle an estate;

• Negotiate a contract.

Tourism (B-2)

• Vacation (holiday);

• Visit with friends or relatives;

• Medical treatment, must pay in full for all care;

• Social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organisations;

• Participation by amateurs in musical, sports events or contests, if not being paid for participating;

• Enrolment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation).

Q: What am I not allowed to do?

Q: These are some examples of activities that cannot be done while on a visitor visa:

• Study;

• Employment;

• Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience;

• Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft;

• Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media;

• Permanent residence in the United States;

• Visitor visas will also not be issued for birth tourism (travel for the primary purpose of giving birth in the United States to obtain US citizenship for your child).

For more information, visit the visitor visa section at travel.state.gov. Importantly, though the consular officer has issued the visa, the Customs and Border Protection Officer at the port of entry makes the final decision on whether you will be allowed to enter the US. The visa does not guarantee your entry, only that you can be considered for entry.

As a reminder, the non-immigrant visa unit is processing interview waivers for individuals who were previously issued a full-validity B1/B2 visa, which is either still valid or expired less than 24 months ago. Individuals older than 79 years of age or younger than 14 years of age may also qualify for a waiver of interview.

The latest information on our operating status can be found on our website at www.jm.usembassy.gov or by visiting www.travel.state.gov . Keep on top of embassy news on our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/USEmbassyJamaica/ and by following @USEmbassyJA on Twitter . We also answer general consular questions on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaper-login




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon