Champions Clarendon College beat Green Pond 3-1

Observer Writer

Friday, October 18, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Tajhay Williams scored twice early in the game as defending champions Clarendon College beat Green Pond High 3-1 at Cornwall College in their first-leg second-round game in the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association ISSA/WATA daCosta Cup football competition.

Playing without their top player Lamar Walker, Clarendon College got off to a fast start but were less effective in the second half against a Green Pond team that started slowly but grew in confidence.

Unlike Wednesday, when five lower-ranked teams scored wins, only two schools — Maggotty High and Petersfield High — upset the apple cart yesterday.

Dinthill Technical continued to ride their luck, beating Central High, while Manchester High edged St Thomas Technical. Cornwall College and Frome Technical gave up leads and were held to 1-1 results by Munro College and Vere Technical, respectively.

At Cornwall College, Clarendon College took advantage of a nervous Green Pond team with two quick goals from midfielder Williams. He headed home from close range in the seventh minute, then beat goalkeeper Rahjay Campbell with a brilliant free kick in the 17th minute.

Green Pond pulled one back when Kevon Lewis headed powerfully past the Clarendon College goalkeeper Prince-Daniel Smith in the 39th minute.

Despite a much-improved second half, Green Pond failed to draw level and Clarendon College went further ahead in the 88th minute when Richard King buried a penalty kick.

Tanoi Simpson's 22nd-minute goal was enough for Manchester High to edge St Thomas Technical at Golden Grove, while Karim Bryan scored for Dinthill as they beat Central High 1-0.

Peteroy Jones and Dwayne Brown scored for Maggotty High in their 2-0 win over Oracabessa in the first game of the double-header at the St Elizabeth Technical Sports Complex.

Petersfield came from a goal down to beat William Knibb Memorial 2-1 in a western derby played at Frome, while at Juici Field, Frome Technical gave up a late penalty to draw with Vere Technical.

In the second game played at St Elizabeth Technical High School, Kamali Powell gave Cornwall College the lead over Munro College in the first half, but an own goal conceded late in the second half saw them leave with a draw.

In the first game at Cornwall College, Alston High and Anchovy High finished 1-1 thanks to two spectacular goals.

Tajae Thomas gave Alston High the lead in the 29th minute with a scintillating free kick from just outside of the 18-yard box on the left flank. The ball flew past Anchovy High's goalkeeper Kirkland McPherson, and went in just under the cross bar.

Mark Smith responded in the 57th minute when he looped a ball from on the half line that dipped behind goalkeeper Carey Williams and into the goal.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon