Grave says CWI 'optimistic' ahead of second ECB meeting

Sports

Grave says CWI 'optimistic' ahead of second ECB meeting

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!


ST JOHN'S, Antigua (CMC) — Cricket West Indies (CWI) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) are scheduled to meet again tomorrow to hammer out further details, in an effort to ensure the three-Test tour of the United Kingdom comes off amidst the threat of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

According to CWI chief executive Johnny Grave the two boards had a productive first meeting two weeks ago which included all the key stakeholders from captains to chief medical officers.

But with the situation in the UK — one of the hardest-hit regions — still evolving, Grave said CWI was expecting a further update on planning for the series from the ECB, especially with the UK Government announcing an ease in lockdown measures this week which could see sport resume behind closed doors.

The series would be the first of its kind to be played at “bio-secure” venues and involve strict quarantine and social distancing protocols, and Grave conceded the experience would be a novel one for players, officials, and administrators.

However, Grave cautioned that despite the ongoing planning, both sides were still “a long way off” from deciding if the tour will go ahead.

“We've got to get back playing cricket and the cricketers pretty much across the Caribbean have been in complete lockdown in 24-hour curfews, are champing at the bit to get back playing the game they love,” he said.

“We're not going to rush it, but it is going to be very, very different, and we're a long way off being able to confirm whether the tour will happen or not.”

The UK has recorded 237,000 infections and nearly 34,000 deaths, but authorities believe the infections have passed their peak. Earlier this week, Government announced an ease in the lockdowns which would see a partial reopening of parks and some businesses.

However, Government also said there would be no professional sport played until June 1 at the earliest.

Grave acknowledged the UK situation was a fluid one which the ECB was continuing to monitor carefully, while also keeping CWI apprised.

“It's changing and evolving all the time. I don't know which version we're on of the medical plan, but there are several iterations of it,” the Englishman said.

“The players would basically be in a bubble, and certainly from the point of arrival in the UK they would be very much isolated from anyone who don't need to be in direct contact with them the entire length of the tour.

“We've said to the ECB we would want four weeks of preparation before the first Test…and we're looking at three back-to-back Test matches. It would be seven weeks of pretty much training at the ground, staying at the ground, and very much being isolated within that hotel environment.”

CWI this week identified 30 players who would possibly make the trip, a “logistical” decision to ensure the board was prepared in case the tour went ahead.

And Grave said he remained “optimistic” the tour could proceed once the UK situation remained stable and the ECB secured Government's approval.

“Actually I'm optimistic and I said before, it's in everyone's interest to get the live sport back being played, because without it broadcasters won't pay and sponsors won't pay if we're not delivering the live product,” he said.

“The ECB has got a long way to go to get UK Government approval to be absolutely certain that bio-secure cricket will work, and then logistically here [in the Caribbean], you're going to have players across at least eight or nine countries all with different levels of restrictions in terms of COVID-19.

“Logistically to get the players all to one airport and then probably out on one plane is going to be a logical challenge but certainly not insurmountable, and I think certainly if everything goes well and we don't get spikes of outbreaks or any kind of adverse news…I think we have a right to be optimistic.”


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT