Wadadah take slim lead in Western Confed semi-final tie

Observer writer

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!

FALMOUTH, Trelawny – Defending champions Wadadah FC have taken a one-goal lead over Hopewell United after Sunday's first-leg semi-finals of the Jamaica Football Federation Western Confederation Charley's JB Rum Super League at the Elleston Wakeland Centre in Falmouth.

A last-minute penalty from Oshane Hunter put Wadadah FC in front with their 2-1 win over the first-time finalists, while another first-timer Falmouth United, and favourites Faulkland FC ended in a 1-1 draw in their game.

The return legs will be played next Sunday at Jarrett Park with the winners on aggregate advancing to the final set for early May.

Both games were evenly contested on Sunday, setting up what promises to be two good games next week with spots in the final and the possibility of playing in the Red Stripe Premier League next season.

Tyshan Hill shot Wadadah FC into the lead as early as the 10th minute and they should have doubled the lead early in the second half, but Hopewell United's goalkeeper kept his team in the game with a smart double save, blocking two shots from inside the six-yard box.

O'Carey Spence just missed pulling Hopewell United level in the 58th minute when he pulled a shot wide of the Wadadah FC goal with goalkeeper Tristan Bernard beaten off his line.

Leslie Foster was well-placed in the 65th minute to score from inside the six-yard box, hitting the ball over Bernard, who was on the ground and missed the cross from the left side.

Hill was instrumental in the second goal for his team as he was pulled down in the box to get a penalty, which Hunter buried to give his team the lead.

The second game was played at a fast pace between two teams that were equally matched, but it was Falmouth United playing at home that got the lead when Ziddane Francis brilliantly headed a flighted cross from the left that beat the Faulkland FC defence and he was well placed at the far right post to beat goalkeeper Robert Morrison.

Ewan Barton equalised for Faulkland FC with a well-timed volley in the 40th minute from a right-side cross from Peter Campbell.

It was Barton's eighth goal for Faulkland FC since his move from Granville United in January and his league-leading 11th overall.

With their tails up, Faulkland FC threw everything in attack and just missed taking the lead in the 42nd minute as the Falmouth United goalkeeper David Swaby blocked a point-blank blast from Barton.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon